Mourinho Happy with First Win with Manchester United


Jose Mourinho on his appointment as Manchester United Manager. 
Jose Mourinho is a happy man having recorded a win in his first match as Manchester United Coach.

The former Chelsea boss led his new team to a 2-0 win over Wigan Athletics on Saturday and he was quick to speak about the performance of his team on MUFC TV.

“I am very happy. The result is obviously not the most important thing, but it is always important. I’m happy because there were things we tried in training around some principles of our play defensively and offensively and I could see them,” the Portuguese said.

He added: “They were not in a perfect way of course because the conditions are not the best with only 10 days of training, accumulation of fatigue and no sharpness, so it takes times. But I could see things that showed they were starting to think in the way I think about football. That pleased me. Everybody played the match and everyone had a positive performance.”

Two second half goals from Will Keane and Andreas Pereira gave Mourinho the flawless start he craved for.

In Saturday’s test match, it was new summer recruit, Henrik Mkhitaryan, who shone with his ball handling, passes and late runs into the opponent’s box that drew gasps of delight from the United fans at the DW as he lasted 45 minutes of the first half.

In the highlights of the friendly encounter in the first half, Fosu-Mensah got injured in the 34th minute but he was just winded – the game being the first in pre-season.

Aside hailing the performance of his players, Mourinho also spared some thought for the United fans who are very expectant that their fortunes will improve this term with their new coach.

“Best of all was something that I never had before which was a friendly match which I could call a training session against opposition and yet there were so many supporters who gave permanent support to the team.

“There was the manifestation of happiness [from them] about a few things they could see in the team which was absolutely fantastic. As I said in my press conference I will try to give them everything and I’m sure they will continue to give amazing support to the team.”

Comments